Friday, August 12, 2011

Whale Wars!


Tonight is the season finale of Whale Wars! I absolutely love this show and I think the Sea Shepherds are incredibly brave. The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society is a non-profit which focuses on marine conservation and constantly battles shark poaching, seal hunting and, most famously, whaling. They are currently running a marathon on Animal Planet leading up to the finale so if you need to catch up start tivo-ing now! This is the second time I've seen the episode in which the Shepherds are called on to search for the Norwegian sailboat Berserk and if you're anything like me and you've seen it you were balling your eyes out for quite a while. Sailing accidents scare me more than plane crashes and my heart always goes out to those involved. Especially because even the most experienced, seasoned sailors in existence can be defeated by mother nature. It still gives me chills that Joshua Slocum, the first man to sail alone around the world, could make such a journey only to disappear with his trusty Spray on a routine trip 11 years later.

Berserk's life raft being recovered after spotted by Sea Shepherd pilot Chris Aultman

I think this is definitely a cause worthy of donation so my inner shopaholic was especially delighted to find this Sea Shepherd tank by Chaser LA on a recent shopping trip. Not only can I show my support in wearing it but a portion of the proceeds are donated to the organization.


If the store had carried this sweater I probably would have purchased it as well but I was able to find both items available for purchase at the Black Label Boutique. For more information, to donate, or to volunteer check out the Sea Shepherd website here.



No comments:

Post a Comment